Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sorry, I didn't hear you the first fifty times you asked

Okay, someone out there has to know the answer to this. From 1 Samuel 17:
25 Now the Israelites had been saying, "Do you see how this man keeps coming out? He comes out to defy Israel. The king will give great wealth to the man who kills him. He will also give him his daughter in marriage and will exempt his father's family from taxes in Israel." 26 David asked the men standing near him, "What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?" 27 They repeated to him what they had been saying and told him, "This is what will be done for the man who kills him."
28 When Eliab, David's oldest brother, heard him speaking with the men, he burned with anger at him and asked, "Why have you come down here? And with whom did you leave those few sheep in the desert? I know how conceited you are and how wicked your heart is; you came down only to watch the battle."
29 "Now what have I done?" said David. "Can't I even speak?" 30 He then turned away to someone else and brought up the same matter, and the men answered him as before. 31 What David said was overheard and reported to Saul, and Saul sent for him.

So here is the question: why did David keep asking what would be done for the man who kills Goliath? Now don't get me wrong, David was extremely brave to even consider taking on the giant Goliath. He knew God had set him apart for great things. Yet he asked over and over what would he get for taking out Goliath. In vs 26 David had just arrived at the front lines and maybe didn't have his wireless Internet connection hooked up yet, so he had not heard what the Israelites had been saying. But catch that: 'had been saying'. This was not an advertisement that ran one time, the phrasing is plural, as in repeated over and over. So even if Davids Internet was down, surely he would have heard about it. I mean the newspapers had to have been swamped with 10'6" giant pictures on page 1. And if he hadn't heard about it, what would prompt David to even ask such a question? But then David gets scolded by his brother, yet turns away and asks the question AGAIN! So what gives? Seems like a case of David checking out the ROI for the battle. Can't you see David saying to himself "Hmmmm.....kill the giant and get wealth, tax free status...and a wife! Okay, I'm in.". Now if it was different: "Hmmmm, kill the giant and get a Grande Mocha for the price of a Tall." Maybe David puts away his slingshot and moves back to the sheep.

See, I don't get it! If David KNEW God had set him up for greatness that God was with him, then why the question? Why was the reward important, and not just doing the right thing? Surely I would never, and have never, done an ROI on what God was asking me to do. Not me...I just up and do the right thing. I never weigh what is in it for me against the value of my all important time and energy. Risk vs Reward...totally foreign concept to me.

Or not. Maybe I do get it, but don't want to admit it. "God this is going to be tough, a real war. What do I get in return." Likely have asked that many times in my head. I can't prove it, and the Word does not say, at least for me to understand, but David might be asking that question. I know there is lots of me in David....lust (Bathsheba), shame (his murder of Uriah and cover up). Yet I know there is another part of David in me...the fact that God's destination and will for me will be done. That nothing I have done will keep me from God's role for me, if I turn from my wicked ways and acknowledge him. God is a graceful God, a forgiving God, a God who is not interested in covering up my sin to 'protect His image', but is interested in the total healing and restoration of me. God is good, all the time. All the time, He is good.

No comments: