Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Beat The Attitude: Hebrews 11 style

Continuing on the Beat The Attitude, I keep looking for examples of what the Beatitudes look like in action. Here is one from a guy I'll call PD. This is from his blog, used by permission.

Lessons from Harold
For the past several months I've had the opportunity to serve an elderly neighbor across the street. His name is Harold. He had fallen a couple of times last year, and when he did, we'd get a call from his wife Dorothy to come and help pick him up.
Harold had a stroke about three years ago that took his sight and most of his mobility. His condition got worse, and in mid-January of this year, instead of spending his last days in a care center, he and his wife opted for in-home hospice.
Harold was able to get out of bed in the morning without help - and his days were spent with his wife, enjoying meals together and playing his favorite game, "Skipbo." By the end of the day, however, he just didn't have the strength to get into bed on his own.
Instead of chancing continued falls by trying to get into bed on his own, we encouraged them to give us a call anytime if they needed help. So, nearly every evening since the middle of January - about 8:45pm, we'd get a call from Dorothy. I'd put on my flip-flops and head across the street to "put Harold in bed."
Each night was the same. He'd be ready in his wheelchair by his bed. I'd bend over and let him grab my neck so that I could lift him up and turn him towards the bed. I'd set him down, Dorthy would help get him ready for the evening, and then I'd swing his feet around and help lift the hospital bed.
The very first night I helped, he reached for my hand and said, "I don't suppose you got a prayer for me, do ya?" - So each night, after tucking Harold in, we'd hold hands and I'd get the privilege of praying with him and Dorothy before heading back across the street.
When Harold came home for in-home hospice in early January - Dorothy was afraid his time at home would be very short, but Harold enjoyed a great couple of months at home. I wasn't the only person that got to help with Harold. Steve Jones from Abundant Life was a Harold hero, too, as was my old friend Jim Newby. Jim's on the pastoral staff at Beaverton Foursquare. Jim did a couple of extended times with Harold, including a week that I had the flu, and this last week when we were out of town on the East Coast.
Harold died last week, and Jim and I were able to continue to serve the family by helping them put together a beautiful memorial service celebrating a life well lived.
When the service was over, one of Harold's relatives came up to me. He said he wanted me to know that he had helped Harold into bed on the Monday before he passed away (we were still on the East Coast). He told me, "You and your friend sure made an impression on Harold."
I asked, "How so?"
He said Harold told him, "You can help me into bed, but you know you have to pray with me."
Way to go, Harold!


Some minor details PD left out. He works tireless and many countless hours. He has three energetic kids he delights in spending time with. He is married to a wonderful lady (who has a great blog!), who he cherishes. As an IT guy, he takes endless text messages, phone calls, emails, and yes, now Twitters. Each says the same thing: HELP. And help he does. And PD has a bad back.
PD expends a ton of energy every day. I am sure at 8:30 at night, he loves sitting in his favorite comfy chair (we all have one), kicking his shoes off, putting his feet up, turning on the tube to his favorite show (oh good, a new episode) and taking a well deserved rest. And just as he settles in, the phone rings. It's 8:45. And boy do the complaints start. 'What? Right when my show is getting good? I just popped this corn, nice and hot. NOW the phone rings?' As PD opens the door to cross the street, the cold east wind blows a pelting rain directly into his face, stinging on contact; 'I should have let the phone ring'.

No, that didn't happen. Maybe at my house that would happen. But every night PD got up and considered it a privilege to answer the phone to serve Harold and Dorothy. Neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night could keep this carrier from his appointed rounds. PD knew it was appointed by God for him to do this. And I think Jesus wept. Not tears of sorrow, but from the great joy welled up within Him. And He leans forward and says 'PD, thanks for feeding my sheep'.

I sometimes wish God would make Hebrews 11, The Sequel (it worked for Oceans 11). If He did, I am sure you would find PD right there, front and center. Not because he wants to be there for ego, but because he can't help himself.

He is Beat The Attitude in action.

No comments: