Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Closer than a brother

Quick, name your favorite song about friendship? Here are some to consider:
Lean On Me Bill Withers
That's What Friends Are For Dionne Warwick
You've Got A Friend James Taylor
Thank You For Being A Friend Andrew Gold
With A Little Help From My Friends The Beatles
Friends Michael W. Smith

Proverbs 18:24 states: A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. But what exactly does Proverbs 18 look like in real life? Not the quick "hi, how are you" conversations at church in the entry, not the "great game last night" conversations, but the "no, really, how are you" conversations. Lately I have noticed some 'friends' have become distant as the battle I'm going through has gone on. Some have made quick turns at church to avoid me. Others that a year or so ago would have enjoined me in conversation simply give a quick smile and head nod and off they go. So I've been asking God why, and what should I do about it? How can I make people more comfortable with what is going on in my life. And God is so kind. He continues to show me bit by bit the path in front. Not the whole path, but just enough to keep my feet moving forward. Here is what He said;
  1. The plan for you is not just for you, but for your 'community'. Your 'community' is uncomfortable because of issues in them, issues that I (God) am aware of and am working on. I want healing for all.
  2. Their reactions are not your responsibility.
  3. I (God) am not surprised by their reactions, just as I (God) am not surprised or caught off guard by your reactions and emotions.
  4. I am your friend (wow, really liked that one...sometimes you wonder from the silence)
  5. Learn from the hurt what it means to be a friend...sometimes you haven't been a good one yourself.

Ouch..that one stung. But then God in His grace showed me times when I was not a good friend. Times I didn't pick up the phone and call someone I knew was hurting. Times I said "I'll pray for you" when what was really needed was taking time to sit and talk to the person. Times I walked a different direction to avoid someone. Times I ask 'how are you' when I really only wanted to hear "okay". Times I heard "okay" when I knew that was not the truth and I didn't take time to say "no, really, how are you?" Times when I stood still when what was needed was a hug, a long hug that says 'I'll be here with you'. I could go on and on. Boy do I have some learning to do!

Jesus himself calls us friends. I have often wondered what those meetings with tax collectors, prostitutes and other 'sinners' were like. What were the conversations going on like? Pretty salty I'm sure. Yet there was Jesus - eating, talking, loving. He was a friend to the friendless, the hopeless, the hurting. He was never too busy to put His arm around someone and say "I love you". He was not scared off by their lifestyle or by their 'sins'. He embraced the person within. That is the kind of friend I want to be. To be there when times are good and when times are bad, during the smiles and the tears. I want to be a friend like Jesus is to me.

No comments: