Friday, May 16, 2008

The Plan

The Plan. I have been asked that more than a few times in the last few weeks. And I have no idea. What next, when, where, how. Lots of questions and few answers. So I go to the one who is supposed to have the answers and ask "okay God, what's the plan?" And God laid it all out, day by day, hour by hour, what would happen, when it would happen; every detail....uh no. That did not happen. Instead God gave me Romans 11:33 (amplified version) 33Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unfathomable (inscrutable, unsearchable) are His judgments (His decisions)! And how untraceable (mysterious, undiscoverable) are His ways (His methods, His paths)! 34For who has known the mind of the Lord and who has understood His thoughts, or who has [ever] been His counselor? 35Or who has first given God anything that he might be paid back or that he could claim a recompense? 36For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. [For all things originate with Him and come from Him; all things live through Him, and all things center in and tend to consummate and to end in Him.] To Him be glory forever! Amen (so be it). "So God, are you telling me that THE PLAN is not for me to know? And why is THE PLAN not MY PLAN? I mean, the way I see it and have been praying, my plan makes the most sense, at least to me." I think God chuckled at me. Then the Holy Spirit let me in on a secret: I don't live in a vacuum, I live in community! God was telling me that THE PLAN for me was not for me alone. For the tentacles of God are reaching out and touching many people through this difficult time. Using this trial, God is touching family, friends, church members, and coworkers. He is tilling soil that has to this time has been hard. He is working out things in their lives, making them think, pray and commit to love. He is working on other families in trouble, giving them a glimpse of what might be. Bottom line, His PLAN is that He be glorified. How that is going to work out, I have no idea whatsoever. And I think that is what Romans 11 is saying, like Jack Nicholson to Tom Cruise, "you can't handle the truth". His ways are so far above my comprehension. The whole plan would likely make my head explode!

Last Wednesday night, the lesson at church had seven points, all of which of course related to me and what is happening. God doesn't like to waste time, He just keeps teaching me.
  1. God will keep his promise no matter what.
  2. God will even use adversity to position me for blessing.
  3. God will not always give you all the details (man, did I hate that one!)
  4. God never forgets me even when I forget him.
  5. God will make sure the more I am pressured, the more I will grow.
  6. The pressure is part of Gods plan.
  7. My trouble will stop when its accomplished Gods purpose.

So I am changing my prayer. No longer will I pray for God to change my circumstances. Turns out that is the easy prayer to say. Now I will pray, "Lord, whatever you are doing in me, continue to do, no matter how long it takes, or the roads I must travel."

Here is a song by Sanctus Real (posted on the right hand side). Sorry, they don't have a cool video out for it yet, but give it a listen and ask God what He wants you to learn from my trial. If your reading this, your part of the community!

No comments: